Friday, July 5, 2013

What is Yoga All About?

You know, I look at a lot of yoga websites lately. There are websites for individual studios, websites like YogaDork, and websites like MyYogaOnline that offer dozens and dozens of individual yoga practice videos.

Most of these places show yogis doing incredible things with their bodies in poses like pigeon pose or even handstand or headstand. And the other day when I saw yet another ad with a naked picture of Kathryn Budig performing some feat of yoga (well, she WAS wearing her ToeSox, so I guess she wasn't completely naked), I started to wonder: what exactly is yoga all about?

Yeah, it's fun and a total rush when I find myself in headstand. (But that's not very often, and I'll talk about that in a future post.) And really, yoga was created as a way to strengthen the body in preparation for long stretches of sitting absolutely still in meditation.

But what's it all about?

The other night in class, Robin asked us, "Why do you practice yoga?" without expecting us to answer. Just to give us food for thought.

Is yoga really about just strengthening the body, and being able to do flashy moves like binds and headstands? Or is there something else, something lurking just below the surface?

What if when your spirit were just as strong as your body when you performed a headstand or bind? For me, that's what yoga is really all about.




No comments:

Post a Comment