Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Journey

"It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end." ~Ursula K. Le Guin

Yes, yoga is most definitely a journey.


Sometimes when I look at my schedule or the day and there's no yoga class over at the studio, I start to panic: what if I can't fit it in at home? What if all I can do is ten or fifteen minutes?

For some reason, I seem to believe that yoga is only useful if I can do it for at least an hour. But that's just not the case.

As much as you want to, there are times when you just can't find ninety minutes a day to do yoga. But does that mean you shouldn't do it at all? Of course not.

Take five minutes before going to bed. Or ten minutes before you eat dinner. Or even just a few seconds in front of your computer to listen to the sound of your inhale and your exhale, and to feel the energy flowing through your body as you breathe.

That's yoga. You can take it anywhere, anytime.

So, even if your day is packed with work and PTA meetings and dinner and baths and bedtime and housecleaning... Just take five minutes. Roll out your mat (or not), and in whatever you're wearing, feel the strength of Mountain Pose. Do a simple standing forward bend. Push back into Downward Dog, if you can.

And then get up, and get on with your day.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment